Iowa Gamers Online
Hello welcome to the Iowa Gamers Online forum, please register to become part of the community.

Microsoft Flight first impressions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Microsoft Flight first impressions

Post by igoMOTTZILLA on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:08 am

Do you enjoy flight simulators? I know when I was younger I remember putting countless hours into Warbirds, which was an aircraft combat simulator. After not playing Microsoft Flight Sim since 1998, I figured I would give Microsoft Flight a test run. Reading some of the reviews of this game I felt I was getting what I paid for which in that case was nothing. Many people had commented on Flight being to easy, so i thought I would record my first flight for all of you to see. One thing you must have for any flight game is a joystick. I used a Logitech Attack 3 for my first flight, and it felt OK.

Most importantly, lets get on with my first impressions. I started the game and was met with the windows live login, which meant there was more than likely achievements for the game, which was a plus. After entering my login credentials, I was met by a very nice looking dynamic selection screen. The first thing that caught my eye was option to purchase additional content, so I went ahead and opened up the add-on section of steam to check prices. After seeing that each pane was 14.99 and the additional map section was 19.99, I told myself I would really have to like this to pay that much for a plane and small map. I select play and am thrown into the cockpit right away doing a practice flight. The actual flying of this game felt somewhat arcade like as the planes maneuvered very well and didn't seem to be difficult after learning the controls. I soon learned that also when you crashed the plane did not actually come apart or show any damage, which was disappointing. After the practice flight, and my terrible landing, I explored the many other sections of the game. I was impressed by the overall features in the game, such as different cargo and passenger missions along with obstacle courses. All in all, if you want to enjoy some great scenery and not pay anything to do it, I would check out this game. This does not fit the hardcore flight enthusiast due to lack of certain planes features such as flaps and radio communication. Microsoft Flight was and overall OK experience after I got over the fact the add-ons where so pricey, and game didn't quite feel sim enough for me.

I give this game a 6.5.

You can view my maiden flight here.

igoMOTTZILLA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft Flight first impressions

Post by igoMOTTZILLA on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:55 am

Alright I have now put roughly 7 hours into this game in 2 days. For me that is a sign that I enjoy the game, being I can usually only play most games for a couple hours. My initial review was a 6.5, I will say it is a MUCH better game when you put time into it. This game really was not marketed as a sim, its more of a visually appealing game. I purchased the pack for 29.99 that included the extra islands and planes and it does make the experience better. Allows for cargo flights, 2+ passenger flights, and more aerobatic missions. Like I said if you are a hardcore flight sim person look elsewhere. If you want a visually appealing, more relaxed flyer, give this game a shot. Its free, and can be played with a mouse, although flightsticks or joysticks are your best bet. My final review is a 7.5 with DLC adding a bit more fun ramping it up to an 8.0.

igoMOTTZILLA
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum