Iowa Gamers Online
Hello welcome to the Iowa Gamers Online forum, please register to become part of the community.

Hard drive apocalypse?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hard drive apocalypse?

Post by igoMOTTZILLA on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 am

Today I was reading an article about the hard drive shortage. As I am sure most of you know this started 6-7 months ago with the monsoon hitting Thailand where 25% of the hard drives are made. Vendors started having the time of their lives hoard all of the hdds they could get their hands on, letting them marinate, and eventually selling for double to quadruple price depending on the drives. Intel seen this and actually trimmed their budget by $1 billion thinking PC sales would drop. Manufactures then got to thinking they should shorten the warranties of the drives, and that they did some going from five years down to one. And then ultimately the market shrinking from 5 hdd makers to two.HDD prices have slowly been going down and supplies are starting to grow we may not be out of the woods yet. Manufactures are using the existing components and almost finished drives, but when all of these are used up we will probably see another decline as production on new drives and components is ramped up.

igoMOTTZILLA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Hard drive apocalypse?

Post by igoDrMacro on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am

You're also gonna see alot of failed drives. I went to order a system the other day and they said something along the lines of "the quality drives our customers have come to expect are not available at this time, we will do our best to get them the best quality we can."
so basically they were trying to produce drives so fast to catch up with the demand that they cannot guarantee quality. might be alot of failed drives, also why they would shorten warranties, knowing that they weren't produced as well.

igoDrMacro
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by igoDrMacro on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Here are some hard numbers to back up the Hard Drive Apocolypse:

Looks like they are actually on their way back down, thank god!

-Full Article: http://www.techspot.com/guides/494-hard-drive-pricewatch-thai-floods/

igoDrMacro
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by igoZuppnatsi on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:08 pm

igoDrMacro wrote:You're also gonna see alot of failed drives. I went to order a system the other day and they said something along the lines of "the quality drives our customers have come to expect are not available at this time, we will do our best to get them the best quality we can."
so basically they were trying to produce drives so fast to catch up with the demand that they cannot guarantee quality. might be alot of failed drives, also why they would shorten warranties, knowing that they weren't produced as well.

"also why they would shorten warranties, knowing that they weren't produced as well. " - This is done across all wavelengths of manufacturing my friend. Manufacturers know 'statistically when their products will fail, thus providing a warranty just shy of the projected fail time. If they know a product lasted 6 years on a typical basis they'll provide a 5 year warranty to cover manufacturing defects. If they gave you a 10 year warranty on a product that should last 8 years they wouldn't make any money now would they? They do the testing and know when their products will fail, and provide a warranty that most consumers wouldn't be able to make use of. The warranty is primarily a sales pitch Smile
igoZuppnatsi

Back to top Go down

Post by igoDrMacro on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:37 pm

sorry, i think it was early in the morning when i typed that, what you said is what i meant, just typed it funny. lol
was trying to say "why would they shorten the warranties? because they are making shit!"

igoDrMacro
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by igoZuppnatsi on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Exactly
igoZuppnatsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down