Iowa Gamers Online
Hello welcome to the Iowa Gamers Online forum, please register to become part of the community.

Blizzard takes action against Valve?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blizzard takes action against Valve?

Post by igoDrMacro on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:29 pm

A little background: There was a very popular mod created for Warcraft III called "Defense of the Ancients" or DOTA back in 2003. One of the creators of this mod is now employed by Valve, and Valve is now working on releasing Dota 2. Blizzard has also announced a project they are working on called "Blizzard DOTA" -a mod for Starcraft 2. Up until this time everyone has just found it completely strange that we would be getting both of these games, from two different developers, and within a close time frame at that. But neither company seemed to make any comments one way or the other.

However Blizzard has now filed court documents challenging Valve's use of the name Dota. In a nutshell it says that there has never been a release titled "Dota"; but rather Dota 2 is aimed to be a sequel of sorts to "Defense of the Ancients" which by being a mod to Warcraft III is Blizzard property. In other words "DOTA" is their property and Valve has no rights to use it.

You can read the full article here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40234/Blizzard_opposes_Valve_Dota_name_registration.php
Blizzard DOTA trailer: http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/21/blizzard-dota-blizzcon-2011-trailer
Valve's Dota2: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/01/11/dota-2-heroes-bloodseeker

I hate to see my two favorite game companies going to legal war, however it has bothered me for quite awhile now that both companies are essentially making the same game.

igoDrMacro
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Blizzard takes action against Valve?

Post by igoMOTTZILLA on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:21 am

Unless this mod was created by Blizzard they have no argument. The way it sounds is that this was a user created mod that has nothing to do with Blizzards licensing. The now "owner" of this mod is Ice-Frog who was recently hired by valve. Which means in broken down terms. Hey blizzard, you didn't want to buy my mod or market it so now im going to go to valve who will take my idea make a game and give me money. Do I think its right, no, do I think this is "illegal" absolutely not. Ohh also Valve trademarked the idea of Dota in 2010.

igoMOTTZILLA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by igoDrMacro on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:00 am

You bring up several valid points, however; this is a mod to a Blizzard game, developed with the World Editor supplied by Blizzard with Warcraft III under their licensing agreement. A license that no doubt states something to the effect of anything you make with our World Editor becomes our property. Like I said, I dont want to see my absolute 2 favorite game companies go into a legal battle, but I have been extremely dumbfounded that they are both essentially developing the same game.

igoDrMacro
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum